Saturday, October 31, 2009

The first month

Dear Friends and Family,

I apologize that I have been here almost a month and a half and haven't updated my blog.

Coming back to Burkina and Fada has been a good experience so far. I spent my first few days in Ouaga and then moved to Fada in order to dive into work. Found a house my first day in Fada and was really happy that I was going to have electricity this time around. Due to a few different things (mostly sharing a latrine with lots of little kids) I found a new house a few weeks later where I now not only have electricity but running water with a toilet and a shower. The move has made adjusting and feeling at home a lot easier.

Work is going really well and the harvest is well underway. We'll probably start buying within the next and then my job will be non-stop. In the meantime I have been doing a lot of asking questions, organizing, meeting contacts and find more sesame producers. It's taking being more social than I normally am but it is probably a good thing.

(For those of you who don't know what I am doing in Burkina here is a quick explanation: I am the Regional Coordinator of the Eastern Region of Burkina Faso for a company called Expandia International Traders that was started by some of my ex-Peace Corps friends. Currently the company is solely exporting sesame but will be branching out into cashews and dried mangoes in the near future. My job is to cover the whole eastern quarter of the country, working with associations and groups of farmers that are growing sesame. This varies from working along side well organized associations to program how and when we are buying, to working with smaller groups who are asking for advice on how to better grow their sesame.)

I am finding the job frustrating at times but also very interesting and educational. Instead of just showing up at the end of the harvest Expandia has decided to be with the farmers from the start and gave out seed on credit and has been working hand in hand with groups to see how things can be done better. Although I am working for a commercial business and not an NGO/save Africa program I believe we can actual make a difference in the lives of a lot of people on the very simple level of giving them a market to sell what they have produced.

Outside of work I have been adjusting fairly well. I did get pretty sick for a week or two but am doing fine now. I have been reconnecting with a lot of old friends and making a lot of new ones. I also just went and visited my old village and it was really great to see everyone and slip back into their lives a little. On a side note for those of you who helped out with donations for the library at the school in Bilamperga, I am very pleased to say that the library is still in use and that a few books have been added since my departure. If any of you still are interested in the library please let me know.

One more project that I am starting to get involved in and am very excited is a home for 10 jr. high and high school girls that will allow them to continue with their education. This project was started by former PC volunteer Tracey and our mutual friend Hassan. Once I got here both Tracey and Hassan asked if I would be willing to be involved in the project and also be an additional go between for Tracey and Hassan. The project started out well and the house is mostly complete but due to lack of funding for the moment the project was not able to start housing girls this year. It is our hope that we'll be able to raise enough money to get this up and running soon. Once the house is complete the 10 girls selected will be able to come live there along with a few women to run the house and be guardians for the girls, and at that point we will also be able to get some government and NGO funding to keep everything running. So far I have mostly been an observer with the project but hope to be more involved as time permits. (Sorry this is getting long, if you are interested in this and want to know more just let me know)

So, that has been most of my life for the past few weeks. Oh wait am I missing something, ah the boyfriend update. Yes, I am still dating Tankoano Soantieba Didier (Di) and things are going well. We have both decided to take everything very slow upon my return (no rings or wedding bells for those of you who thought that was why I was coming back). Whenever we get to see each we hang out and talk about life and all that good stuff and are enjoying each others company. Due to our jobs we only get to see each other for a day or two every month, which seems like a long time but after a year apart it's not that bad.

Okay, time to wrap this up. Thank you to all of you for your well wishes and I will try to remember to keep you all updated on life here.

Krista

(Sorry no pictures due to camera issues. :o( )

My address:
Krista Kay
s/c Expandia International Traders
09 BP 1415 Ouagadougou 09
Burkina Faso, West Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment